September is a big month for Apple software updates. Here is what you need to know:
Which devices can run iOS 12?
- iPhone 5s or newer
- iPad mini 2 or newer
- iPod Touch 6th Gen
- Performance – it’s quicker and more responsive
- Do Not Disturb – new features include “Bedtime Mode”
- Enhanced Notifications – Similar Notifications are “stacked” can be dealt with individually or as a group
- Enhanced battery statistics
- Screen Time
- Tracks what you are using & provides weekly reports. These are scary
- Limits (by app or category). These are scary, but seemingly necessary
- Siri Shortcuts – Create your own shortcuts to run multiple steps as once
Which watches can run WatchOS 5?
Why should install WatchOS 5?
- Workout Updates
- Yoga & Hiking added
- Pace Alerts & Cadence added to the running workout
- Workouts are “sensed” and you are prompted to start/stop, no more missed workouts
- Apple Podcast App – Automatically syncs “Listen Now” with phone
- Walkie-Talkie – James Bond-is, kind of cool
- Siri – Smarter, and you no longer need to summon her with “Hey Siri”